FLUID MECHANICS F1-10 Accessory
F1-14 Basic Metacentric Height - Issue 19
This equipment enables a thorough investigation of the factors affecting the stability of a floating body.
- Rectangular floating pontoon with mast
- Variable centre of gravity via moveable weights (transverse and vertical)
- Clinometer indicates angle of heel
- Educational software available as an option
The position of the metacentre can be varied to produce stable and unstable equilibrium.
The equipment consists of a plastic rectangular floating pontoon, whose centre of gravity can be varied by an adjustable weight, which slides and can be clamped in any position on a vertical mast.
A single plumb-bob is suspended from the mast, which indicates the angle of heel on a calibrated scale.
A weight with lateral adjustment enables the degree of heel to be varied and hence the stability of the pontoon determined.
The equipment does not require a separate water tank as it may be used on the Hydraulics Bench by filling the volumetric tank.
|Max angle of heel:||±13°|
|Corresponding linear dimension:||±90mm|
- Determining the centre of gravity of the pontoon
- Determining the metacentric height and from this the position of the metacentre for the pontoon
- Varying the metacentric height with angle of heel
F1-10 Hydraulics Bench
Individual accessories on request